Extra Life Game Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting to know you.

+8
adam.shornys
John
SushiGummy/GeorgeBoden
MitchRichardson
DoctorRheet
Nina
jordan
eschermond
12 posters

Go down

Getting to know you. Empty Getting to know you.

Post  eschermond Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:51 am

Well, since it seems that I'm the first person to post, aside from our Creator, I figure this is as good a place as any to put up the "Pleased To Meet You" thread.

My name is Erik Schermond.

I'm 33 years old.

I'm a father of two.

I'm willing to answer any questions anyone might have.
eschermond
eschermond

Back to top Go down

Getting to know you. Empty Re: Getting to know you.

Post  Lincoln Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:13 am

Well, my name is Lincoln
I'm only 15 years old
Ive played drumset for 7 years, I'm teaching myself how to play piano and I have composed quite a few songs, mainly with Reason.
I own my own recording equipment, so I hope to do audio stuff with this project.

Lincoln

Back to top Go down

Post  jordan Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:18 am

Hi Erik, thanks for making this thread and pleased to meet you. By the way, what part of the world are you living in? I know Mitchell is from Canada and I know from the reddit post I saw someone from Mexico who was interested as well as someone from the UK. I think it might be a good idea to let everyone know where you are and what time zone you're in so we're not expecting replies from people when it's some crazy hour in the early morning for them Razz Anyway, without further ado:

My name is Jordan Neff.

I'm 24 years old.

I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA [Eastern Standard Time]

Also willing to answer any questions, though I can't guarantee I'll have an interesting answer!

EDIT: Just saw there was another post by Lincoln while I was writing this up. Hi Lincoln, nice to meet you!
jordan
jordan

Back to top Go down

Post  eschermond Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 am

Hello Jordan, hello Lincoln.

Amazing to see someone so young (Lincoln) working on a project like this.

I'm from the east coast too, Jordan. I'm in New Jersey.

Lincoln, any chance there's some of your music online somewhere for us to sample?

Jordan, what do you hope to contribute to the project? i.e. Are you a programmer, writer, musician, artist, etc?

Last edited by eschermond on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot a question.)
eschermond
eschermond

Back to top Go down

Post  jordan Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:08 am

I guess I would fit best into the artist category, though I consider myself a jack of all trades. The only thing I really don't do is programming (aside from web coding). I work a lot with video and 2d/3d animation and visual effects. From what Mitchell told me my main focus on the project will most likely be interface design and animation. I also do a bit of music composing on the side but whether or not I'll do any of it depends entirely on how many people are working on that and how much will need to be done for it.

Here's a link to my graduation demo reel, all of the stuff in it is from 2009 to very early 2010 though, so it's not my most recent work but it'll give you an idea of some aspects of my skill set.
http://vimeo.com/10180132

jordan
jordan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:38 am

Hey everyone!

I'm Nina Sun (you can call me Lyris though, or whatever you'd like—I spectacularly missed the fact that we were going with actual names for usernames, hah). I'm 17, so, good to see I'm not the only young one around.

Edit: neeeevermind, turns out you can change your username.

I'm from New Jersey too, but I'm up at all hours of the night.

I'd mainly like to be a programmer, even though that puts me at the beginner side of everyone around here (that's okay, I can learn!). I'm also a writer; I've been writing for years longer than I've been programming, in fact, so I'm hoping I can get in on that too.

Last edited by Nina on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nina
Nina

Back to top Go down

Post  DoctorRheet Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Well hello there. I'm known as Rhett. Feel free to call me Doctor or Rheet though.

I'm also at the tender age of 15. I'm hoping to provide some music for this project, though I'm sure I can provide a little help with art if needed. I started writing music earlier this year, and once I'm back home at the Battlestation (a measely laptop) I'll be finishing a couple tracks.

I write dubstep. Now I know, some of you groan at hearing "dubstep" (especially from an angsty, 15-year-old whipper-snapper), but my musical taste is extremely varied. Beatles and Sinatra, all day, err day.

That being said, I could whip up HL2- or Portal-esque loops in 30 minutes. If this project requires an old-school soundtrack a la Sonic 2, I'm down with that as well, and I'd love to write some memorable melodies.
I'm not so sure about sound effects. I could probably do SFX, but I've no prior experience with it.

Examples of my work? Not on the internet, and I'll be away from the PC for a couple of days. And yes, I know what I'm getting into. I started working with BASIC at 11, it was way over my head. Came back to it a year later, and I had been messing with it on and off for a few years. And by that I don't wish I mean to do code, just showing that I know game development's difficult.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm from Alabama and I despise rednecks.
DoctorRheet
DoctorRheet

Back to top Go down

Post  eschermond Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:55 pm

Great to meet all you silly people.

A little background on me, if anyone's interested:

I spent a little time in college and I didn't really care for it. I've been playing games since I was 5. I'm hoping to contribute to this project with my writing. I write fiction of all sorts, poetry, tried my hand at a script for The Dark Tower. I have a vast and varying taste in all things music, movies, tv, books and video games. Mostly into Metal, Comedy, Comedy, Palahniuk, and Double Fine, in that order.

I used to write for a couple gaming sites, but work and children took over too much of my time. Having said that, I too know what I'm getting into and am completely able to balance life and work, so no worries.
eschermond
eschermond

Back to top Go down

Getting to know you. Empty Heya

Post  Bandwidt Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm Chris Beatty

I'm a classical composer from Portland, Oregon.

I'm also computer savvy, but have absolutely no idea how to code anything.

I can also illustrate and draw pretty well, and am currently working on writing/illustrating a children's book.

Nice to meet you all!

Bandwidt

Back to top Go down

Getting to know you. Empty Hello Everyone

Post  MitchRichardson Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:50 pm

So most have you have at least gotten one e-mail from me. I'm finally done working for the weekend and can get around to getting some stuff set out for us here Smile

To start off I will formally introduce myself to all of you though.

I'm Mitchell Richardson, from Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm in my 3rd year of Dalhousie Universities Computer Science degree. I have a profound passion for games, not just as a source of entertainment, but also as a hub for many different aspects of art.

I originally came up with this idea after last years Extra Life charity but haven't had time to put it into motion until now. While I don't expect us to make the next biggest thing in gaming, I do believe we can make an entertaining and innovative piece that may spark an interest in other communities to follow in our footsteps.

I will be posting some large letters that I want everyone to read at some point as it will outline the current status of how things are, how we will progress, and how I personally feel about the task ahead of us.

Also, Nice to meet you all. I look forward to working with all of you.
MitchRichardson
MitchRichardson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  eschermond Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:01 pm

MitchRichardson wrote: ... I don't expect us to make the next biggest thing in gaming...

Don't sell yourself (or us) short there, Mitch. We could all be capable of great, great things. Very Happy
eschermond
eschermond

Back to top Go down

Post  SushiGummy/GeorgeBoden Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:14 pm

I'm George Boden, 19 years old. I hope to be a game designer and writer for this project.

I've drawn comics for 13 years, which is where most of my experience comes from. You can see the comic I've been working on lately at DetectiveTarson.com and my YouTube channel here.

My talents revolve around humor, character design, creativity, and story. Whenever starting on a game, the first thing I like to do is come up with 2 or 3 super-unique gameplay systems that have never been used before. I'd give examples of the ones I've come up with in the past, but I think it'd probably be a better idea to keep them secret. My favorite game companies are Nintendo, The Behemoth (I actually moderate their forums), Telltale Games, Double Fine, Valve, Level-5, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule, and a few others I've completely forgotten about.

Lastly, and most importantly, I can imitate Jigglypuff's voice flawlessly.
SushiGummy/GeorgeBoden
SushiGummy/GeorgeBoden

Back to top Go down

Post  DoctorRheet Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:33 pm

SushiGummy/GeorgeBoden wrote:Lastly, and most importantly, I can imitate Jigglypuff's voice flawlessly.
This man right here.
Also, why not go ahead and post the ideas in the proper topic? Even if they can't be used, I'd be interested in reading them.
DoctorRheet
DoctorRheet

Back to top Go down

Getting to know you. Empty Hello everybody

Post  John Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:50 pm

My name is John Nathan, 20 years old and I am programmer. I'm from Mexico so I also speak spanish and I look forward to work on this project, learn more and help you guys if I can. This is the first time I get on a project like this but I love to program and I want to have this experience.

John

Back to top Go down

Post  adam.shornys Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:09 am

Hey guys, my name is Adam Shornys, I'm 21 years old. Me and Mitch (guy spearheading this project) have been the bestest of friends for years. I am a trance/progressive house producer. I have tracks released on various labels such as soundwave, dezire, and most recently have been picked up by dangerbox recordings. I've been producing music for 4 years now and I plan on doing a lot of sound design/music for this project, and would love the chance to work with others! let the games begin!
adam.shornys
adam.shornys

Back to top Go down

Getting to know you. Empty Re: Getting to know you

Post  VincentV Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:09 am

Hey there everyone!

My name is Vincent and I and 20 years old from Dallas, Texas and I am currently studying computer science and Game Design at the University of North Texas.

I've been playing games since I can remember and been loving them ever since. This is actually my first project like this and I've got to say I am super excited about this and I'm for it 100%! Can't wait to get this show on the road!

VincentV

Back to top Go down

Getting to know you. Empty My name is Pride St. Clair

Post  pridethesaint Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:06 pm

Hey everyone,

My name is Pride St. Clair and I'm a writer, animator, and illustrator out of LA. I'm currently working as an intern for a producer/writer, but I have freetime to kill and I'd much rather spend it improving my craft rather than playing vidja games all day. You can find my work at wuth.deviantart.com and on youtube, plus I write game criticism and theory for pikigeek.com.

I'll be staying active on the forums and throwing some ideas up later this week. I hope we get things rolling ASAP and all work together to produce a quality game. If anyone wants to get a hold of me for any reason, I can be contacted at pridethesaint@gmail.com.

Some Animation, including my sickeningly cheesy 16mm claymation (things don't always come out quite the way you want them to): https://www.youtube.com/user/pridethesaint?feature=mhee

I also have scripts available on request (that's actually part of why I'm interning out here in LA) just in case we need dialogue or any other expository writing.

pridethesaint

Back to top Go down

Post  brycehalda Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Hello there, stay awhile and listen.
My name is Bryce Halda, and I'm 16 years old and I'm from Spring Hill, Kansas. I have been playing games all of my life and I have dabbled in all sorts of coding since I was 11. I am a fast learner. My first website went up at 12, and my second when I was in 7th grade (it was a freeware proxy, but i made several changes since). I have made a new website every year since then as the old ones got blocked/removed/un-maintained. I have made some music in FL Studio, I've made a few small maps for MoH:AA, CS:S, and TF2. In addition to that, I made menu for a Source mod. I have done some art for my school and I took a class in photoshop at school, but that was just to learn my way around it. I'm also up at all times of the night, so i can work somewhat non stop.

TL;DR
I can be put in pretty much any of the positions.

P.S. I would rather not do any big time coding.

brycehalda

Back to top Go down

Getting to know you. Empty Hello Everybody

Post  DrVick Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm Alex Vickers. I'm 18 years old and while I'm an amateur writer. Currently I study biology in college.

I've grown up playing videogames, and I have always favored those that featured compelling dialogue and stories. Especially those that have used alternative methods of storytelling such as platformers like LIMBO. If we take that route, I suggest that would be the most interesting course of action.

I have more experience with writing short stories than other forms of prose, but I love scriptwriting. I've read a lot of plays and screenwriting and started trying out my own (short scripts, not plays).

I can't wait to see what we can do!
DrVick
DrVick

Back to top Go down

Getting to know you. Empty Hey everybody

Post  Rex Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:24 pm

My name is Rex Kandhai and I'm currently a film major with an intention on contributing to the writing end of things. I'm 20 years old and I'm from New York.
I've always been interested in creating a new world, no matter what the medium is. Video games, given their interactivity, have the immersion factor that no other medium has and therefore, leaves open an incredible amount of interesting ways to tell a story. Everybody here seems pretty cool. Lets make this a good one.

Rex

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum